Who doesn’t want a spacious kitchen with many cabinets, a big countertop, or even a kitchen island? Unfortunately, not everyone has a big kitchen with lots of storage and empty spaces. Small kitchens are standard in homes nowadays, and keeping such tiny rooms clean and organised can be quite a challenge. However, with the right storage tricks and organisation hacks, you can maximise what you have.
How To Organise Storage In A Small Kitchen?
Kitchens are often filled with an array of equipment, pots and pans, appliances, and utensils, making storage a challenge, especially in small kitchens. Various factors can contribute to making your cooking space appear tinier than it is.
One of the elements that contribute to a cramped feel is clutter. Overcrowded countertops, shelves, and excessive decorations overwhelm the space. Additionally, using dark colours on walls, cabinets, or countertops absorbs light and creates a closed-in atmosphere. Insufficient lighting adds to this effect, casting shadows and making the kitchen dim and confined. Another thing that contributes to a crowded ambience is bulky furniture. On top of that, inadequate organisation and storage solutions result in cluttered countertops, limiting workspace and adding more to the clutter and chaos in an already small kitchen. Lastly, a closed-off layout with walls or barriers can constrict the kitchen. These problems are easy to fix on a budget and probably won’t require hiring handymen to do it.
On the other hand, you can efficiently organise your small kitchen and create a better flow with inventive ideas and clever solutions. Here are practical storage tips to make the most of your limited space:
Hang PVC rods in a cabinet
Utilise the vertical space in your kitchen cabinets by installing PVC rods under each shelf. Secure them properly and hang S hooks on the rods, providing a convenient way to organise items such as mugs and seasonings.
Use wire beverage racks in the fridge
Take advantage of vertical space in your refrigerator by incorporating wire beverage racks. These racks allow you to neatly organise items like cans, making them easily accessible and freeing up valuable shelf space.
Utilise the inside of a cabinet door
Mount a series of hook screws on the inside. These tiny hooks can hold measuring cups and spoons, eliminating clutter from utensil drawers. Label each hook to ensure you grab the right measuring tool when needed.
Utilise a dishwashing caddy on the sink
Place a dishwashing caddy in the corner of your sink. These compact plastic units are designed to hold essential cleaning tools like sponges, dish soap, and scrubbers. You can optimise your counter space by keeping everything within reach and organised.
Stack basket drawers for multi-use storage
Create additional storage by stacking basket drawers inside a cabinet. Each drawer can be easily pulled out, providing easy access. You can use each drawer for different types of items to maintain organisation.
Organise with plastic magazine holders
You could also use magazine holders to organise various items in your kitchen. Hang them inside your pantry or cabinets, and use them to store boxes of plastic bags or aluminium foil, keeping them easily accessible.
Install wine glass racks under cabinets
Save storage space and drying time by installing wine glass racks under your cabinets. These racks securely hold glasses by their bases, allowing them to dry upside down. This convenient organisation hack can also add elegance to your small kitchen.
Repurpose office plastic storage devices for fridge organisation
Explore using plastic storage devices designed for magazines or specialised bins in the refrigerator. For example, magazine holders can hold individual yoghurt cups, while plastic containers for the fridge provide organised storage for various items.
Invest in spice racks
If you want to save space in your small kitchen, opt for spice racks that maximise vertical and horizontal storage. These racks feature horizontal arrangements, allowing each shelf to be pulled out for easy access. Spice racks help maximise limited space while keeping your spices organised and accessible.
Utilise typically empty areas
Take advantage of empty spots in your kitchen, such as ceiling baskets hung from a single hook. These multi-tiered baskets provide an excellent solution for organising fruits and spices, optimising vertical space in tiny kitchens.
Install magnetic shelves on your refrigerator
Save space by installing magnetic shelves on the sides of your fridge. These can securely hold various items, eliminating the clutter of souvenir magnets and pictures while keeping essentials easily accessible.
Hang pot racks
Install pot racks to utilise vertical space efficiently in a small kitchen. Some pot racks are designed exclusively for pots and pans, while others offer shelf space for cookbooks. Select the option that suits your needs best and maximise storage efficiency.
Utilise over-the-door organisers
Hang over-the-door organisers on the inside of your cabinet doors for a clutter-free solution. These devices slide over the top of the cabinet door and hold items like aluminium foil, plastic wrap, cutting boards, and other slim items, keeping them within easy reach and neatly organised.
Use wire racks to create additional cabinetry shelves
Often, kitchen cabinets come with only two shelves, leaving ample unused space in between. Make the most of this space by incorporating wire racks in suitable shapes and sizes. These will double your storage capacity, allowing you to organise efficiently and access items.
Re-home dry goods in airtight containers
Save valuable shelf space and maintain an organised small kitchen by transferring dry goods to airtight containers. Label each container for easy identification and stack them neatly on your shelves. This method eliminates the clutter caused by half-empty packages, ensuring a well-organised pantry.
Utilise wall-mounted wire baskets
Take advantage of your kitchen walls by installing wire baskets of various shapes and sizes. These baskets serve as additional storage space for spices, utensils, cleaning supplies, and other items. These wall-mounted baskets can be a lifesaver when other storage options are limited in tiny kitchens.
Invest in a “Lazy Susan” for corner storage
Opt for a Lazy Susan, a rotating tray made of plastic or wood designed specifically for corner cabinets. By utilising this clever storage solution, you can prevent items from cluttering in the corner and easily access everything stored on the tray.
Use a standing pot rack
Simplify the organisation of pots, pans, and plates by investing in a standing pot rack. Instead of nesting your cookware together, which often leads to toppling and wasted cabinet space, the upright pot rack offers a stable and efficient solution for storing your kitchen essentials.
Install magnetic knife strips
Instead of cluttering valuable drawer space, free up your countertops by installing magnetic knife strips on the wall. These strips securely hold knives in place, providing easy access and storing your blades safely.
Utilise under-sink storage
The space under the sink often goes unused, but it can be a valuable storage area. Install organisers or stackable bins to make the most of this space and keep cleaning supplies, dish soap, and other essentials neatly organised.
Invest in drawer dividers
To maximise the efficiency of your kitchen drawers, use drawer dividers. These handy tools help keep utensils, cutlery, and small gadgets separated and easily accessible.
Opt for stackable containers
Choose stackable food storage containers when storing leftovers or meal prepping. These containers save space by efficiently utilising vertical storage and keeping your fridge or pantry organised.
Tips to keep a small kitchen clean and organised
Small kitchens can quickly become cluttered and make the room appear tinier than it is. Counter space is limited and can quickly become filled with appliances and other items. If you want to make a small kitchen look and feel more spacious, keeping it neat and organised and maximising storage space is essential. All you have to do is follow a simple cleaning routine.
- Implement a regular decluttering routine – Regularly declutter your kitchen to maintain an organised and spacious environment. Take a few minutes each week to go through cabinets, drawers, and shelves and remove expired items, duplicates, or anything you no longer need.
- Clean as you go – Professional cleaners recommend practising “clean as you go” in the kitchen. After cooking, wipe down countertops, clean spills immediately, and wash dishes or load them into the dishwasher promptly. By tidying up as you cook, you can avoid a buildup of mess and make cleaning more manageable.
- Use drawer liners and shelf liners – Adding drawer liners and shelf liners can help protect your cabinets and drawers from spills, stains, and scratches. They are also easier to clean and maintain, providing an extra layer of cleanliness in your storage areas.
- Implement a labelling system – Consider using labels on storage containers, jars, and shelves to keep everything organised and easily identifiable. This practice helps maintain order and makes it easier to find items when you need them.
- Regularly clean and organise the fridge – Clean your refrigerator regularly by removing expired items, wiping down shelves and drawers, and organising food items. A clean and well-organised fridge not only maximises storage space but also helps to prevent odours and maintain food freshness.
- Clean kitchen cabinets and surfaces with proper techniques – When it comes to cleaning kitchen cabinets and surfaces, professional cleaners recommend using suitable cleaning products and techniques. Read product labels and follow instructions carefully, and use microfiber cloths or non-abrasive sponges to prevent damage.
- Deep clean your small appliances – Small kitchen appliances like coffee makers, toasters, and blenders can accumulate dirt, crumbs, and stains over time. Regularly deep clean these appliances by following the manufacturer’s instructions, ensuring they stay in optimal condition and contribute to a clean and organised kitchen.
- Schedule professional cleaning services – If you find maintaining a clean and organised kitchen challenging, consider scheduling professional cleaning services periodically. Professionals have the expertise and tools to deep clean and organise your kitchen, providing a fresh and tidy space.
These smart storage solutions can transform even the smallest kitchen into a functional and well-organised space. And together with its utilising vertical space, repurposing everyday items, or investing in specialised storage tools, optimising storage capacity will help you create a better flow and enjoy the cooking process in your small kitchen.